Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Joy of Writing

I had a blog half written.  And, then, like often happens when I write fiction, I realized I was writing in the wrong direction.  Maybe someday we'll talk about the business side of writing that is taking all of my time in one frustrating bite after another.  But not today.
Today, we're going to talk about writing and all of its joys....well, some of its joys. 
When I was a child, I spent many a day alone in my backyard, dreaming up some fantasy or adventure.  Sometimes it took place in the stars.  Sometimes it was a rewrite of history.  Sometimes I was even a character, but not usually.
Years later, those daydreams and fantasies stayed with me.  And I began to see elements of a great story in other people or the news or from characters in history.  I am fascinated by the conflicts into which people are drawn, especially people of principal.  I'm captivated by the choices those people are forced to make and the price they pay for making those choices. 
What if you had to chose between the life of your spouse and the life of your child?  How would making such a choice affect you?  I know, terrible question.  But, the joy of writing, and the thing I think I enjoy most, is the fact that I get to set the rules and put these people in situations where we can ask: "what would I do there?" or "how would that affect me?"
The story gives us a chance to explore many things, often things we wouldn't want to face in real life. It gives us a chance to think about what makes us tick and why we do what we do.   
It is a long held truth that character is what makes a story compelling.  I believe that.  And, I hope that you love these characters as much as I do,.  They are the reason you keep turning the page and coming back for more. I try to make my characters flawed and human.  I want them to be relatable.
I want you to empathize.

No comments:

Post a Comment